Thursday, January 10, 2008

Review: WEIRDLING graphic Novel


Hey! Our first review since starting the new format! Please forgive us if we have to work out some kinks.

Anyway, Mike Dubisch illustrates & writes this excellent effort about a female soldier aboard a space warship who has recurring all -too -real dreams that whisk her back in time to Earth & the infamous Miskatonic University. Sound far out? It is, & in a good way!

Mike's linework is unbelievable! The B&W format clearly brings out the detail of his illustrations, which will make any fan of the old Warren mags drool. Mike is a true horror artist, his work is able to evoke mood & atmosphere, & is never cartoony. I think this guy is one of the better horror illustrators working in the medium today!

The pleasant surprise is that Mike's writing is some of the most intelligent material I've read in the genre in awhile. Obviously, there are HPL roots, but there is much more to Mike's writing. The plot will keep you turning the pages feverishly, and is layered with entertaining sub-plots. I liked the Van Hise character; I wonder how many out there will get it. My only beef with the story is that I was kind of scratching my head at the end, going "so what really happened?" Regardless, this is well worth the price of admission.

Strange Fear publications, $15.95 http://www.dubisch.com/

No comments: